- Minimum of a B.A. in History, Public Administration, Museum Studies or related humanities field (Post-graduate degree in Museum Studies preferred);
- Minimum of 2 years of collections and records management related museum experience preferred;
- Required knowledge of current museum practices and techniques of collections management, including registration, exhibition, and preservation; industry standard research and cataloguing methods; computer literacy and records management;
- Required experience with current versions of Microsoft Office Suite and PastPerfect Museum Software;
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work on multiple projects with little or no supervision;
- Must have good work ethic, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively to achieve institutional goals.
- Spanish language knowledge desirable.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/EXPECTATIONS:
- The Collections Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Museum’s collection. This includes the development and maintenance of the record systems (physical and digital) and is responsible for the storage systems of the collection. Responsibilities cover logistics and paperwork of all accessions, de-accessions, and incoming and outgoing loans.
- Working closely with the Executive Director, the Collections Manager works to coordinate all activities related to research, collections development, interpretation, documentation, and preventative conservation.
- Creates and maintains legal documents, histories of use, and physical histories of permanent collections objects and/or specimens; keeps legal forms and acknowledgment; keeps permanent collections catalog and files (acquisition, accession, provenance); keeps loan agreements, conservation, condition, publication records; organizes and implements inventory projects; coordinates/assists with computer projects; inputs and updates collection data into museum’s PastPerfect database as needed; disseminates information as needed to other departments and researchers.
- Facilitates care and control of collections on site; designs and controls storage areas; determines storage methods; oversees integrated pest management programs and oversees temperature and humidity levels in storages building; assists in development and implementation of disaster plan with the Executive Director.
- Initiates, drafts, and, upon adoption, implements collections policies. Maintains archives, manages photographic services. Plans and organizes the selection, acquisition, research, interpretation, and exhibition of collections and related materials.
- Researches the history, authenticity and provenance of objects in the collection. Along with the Executive Director, conducts the search for new acquisitions for the Museum’s collections.
- Seeks objects for loan from other institutions where needed for exhibitions.
- Oversees the long-term care of the collection.
- Creates and implements exhibitions; working with the Executive Director, creates temporary exhibit schedule and implements exhibit budget.
- Handles directly, or sets up a system for responding to specific technical inquiries regarding the collection or general inquiries from the public.
- Manages and assists in selected special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Directs and mentors interns.
- Work will be performed in an office environment, and in museum spaces. Occasional evening and weekend work is required. Must have flexible work schedule.
- Reports directly to the Executive Director and performs other duties as assigned.
EXPECTED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor, initiative, confidence, creativity, the ability to set priorities in a dynamic environment, and commitment to continuous improvement.
- Possesses excellent written and oral communication skills, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently and complete tasks and projects.
- Demonstrates good judgment, analytical, decision-making and problem-solving abilities.
- Accepts accountability for timely results and attention to detail.