641 E Madison Street, Brownsville, TX 78520
The Historic Brownsville Museum is located at the old Southern Pacific Railroad Depot. Built in 1928, the Southern Pacific Railroad Depot is recognized as a Texas Historical Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Inside the depot, the museum details the events that led to the establishment of Brownsville and displays temporary exhibits that highlight various topics related to local history.
Also included in your admission to the museum is the Simon Celaya building, and the Mary A. Yturria Education Center.
Located in the Simon Celaya building is an 1872 Baldwin wood-burning, narrow gauge railroad locomotive. This permanent exhibit tells the story of the Rio Grande Railroad which began operating in 1872 between Brownsville and Point Isabel (now Port Isabel). This engine, known as Rio Grande Engine No. 1, has the distinction of being the last of its kind in the world.
The Mary A. Yturria Education Center was constructed behind the depot building to provide the community with a venue for educational outreach programs, cultural programs, art/cultural exhibits and various events. The Yturria Education Center is also available for rent for public and private events.
© 2019 Brownsville Historical Association | 1325 E. Washington Street, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 1 (956) 541-5560